Hedge Funds / Alternative Assets (ECFS992)
This unit provides a broad coverage of the hedge fund industry, with an emphasis on investment management. This unit builds an overview of the industry, beginning with a definition. A portion of the unit is dedicated to developing an understanding of the background knowledge required before spending a considerable amount of time analysing the different hedge fund strategies. Within each strategy, concepts such as risk/return, qualitative risks and business models are discussed. Fund of hedge funds and the role of hedge funds within a diversified portfolio is discussed. Controversies and characters of the industry add some flair to the unit as well as providing good examples of the industry in practice.
- Solid and broad understanding of the hedge fund industry. This includes understanding the greater flexibility and fewer constraints hedge funds have compared with traditional funds.
- Understand, analyse and appropriately explain a range of different hedge fund strategies, including their return opportunities.
- Understand and critically evaluate key hedge fund considerations, including risk/return trade-off, as well as specific qualitative risks which need to be managed.
- Assess and have an understanding of the issues faced by fund of hedge funds.
- Understand the key issues when considering the role of hedge funds within a diversified portfolio.
- Understand and review high profile hedge fund case studies.
- What is a Hedge Fund?
- Key Knowledge Concepts
- 'Disasters' and 'Legends' Introduction
- Industry Participants
- Styles I - Long Short Equity
- Styles II – Relative Value Equity Strategies
- Styles III – Credit and Fixed Income Strategies
- Styles IV – Tactical Strategies
- Styles V – Multi-Strategy Funds
- Portfolio Construction and Hedge Funds
- ‘Disasters’ and ‘Legends’ Within the Hedge Funds Industry
- Admission to Master of Applied Finance or Master of Applied Finance (Advanced) or Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and
- Portfolio Management and Valuation (AFCP801) or Investments (ECFS865)
- Hedge Funds - The link will provide a list of guides for this unit. If the desired term/location is not listed, please view the latest one available.