Hedge Funds / Alternative Assets (ECFS992)
This unit is designed as an introduction to alternative assets and covers the 3 broad categories of alternative investments, namely ‘real assets’, hedge funds and private equity. The unit examines the basic strategies and techniques within each of these categories, their return and risk characteristics and the potential role they play within an investment portfolio. Alternative assets introduce different risks than traditional assets and so a focus is given to their contribution to liquidity, fees, risk budgeting and factor analysis to help better understand the costs and benefits from a portfolio context. The unit content will also explore the contemporary challenges facing the alternative investments industry, providing context around issues like insider trading, fees and regulatory constraints.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the alternative investment industry and the key characteristics of the different investment categories.
- Explore the various techniques and strategies employed by alternative investment managers, including critical comparison to more traditional investment strategies.
- Demonstrate the technical skills required to evaluate the attractiveness of different alternative investments with respect to pricing, valuation and liquidity.
- Apply the research principles and methods utilised to incorporate alternative investments in to an investment portfolio. This includes an application of factor analysis and risk budgeting.
- Identify and analyse contemporary challenges and ethical issues in the alternative investment industry.
- Alternative Investment Landscape
- Techniques and Strategies
- Pricing and Valuation
- Portfolio Construction
- Industry Challenges
- Admission to Master of Applied Finance or Master of Applied Finance (Advanced) or Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and
- Portfolio Management and Valuation (AFCP801) or Investments (ECFS865)
- Hedge Funds. The link will provide a list of guides for this unit. If the desired term/location is not listed, please view the latest one available.